EMPTY SEATS vs EMPTY POLITICS

I’ve been watching the political advertising on TV by the various candidates, their PAC’s, and other support groups for the upcoming elections, and my question is “Why would you vote for any of them?”!

The 7th District Congressional race in California is a prime example of how convoluted our political process, and far-removed the politicians, have become. Based on candidate Doug Ose’s campaign, his incumbent opponent Ami Bera is an incapable, misguided, and corrupt liar, whereas on the other hand, Mr. Ose is reportedly a scheming, money-grubbing opportunist out to destroy the American Dream. Neither candidate has been able or willing to attest to any significant positive accomplishments or attributes of their own, much less even the most obscure vision of potential solutions and improvements in government. One can only assume that either they have none or they believe that focusing on such issues might somehow obscure the more pertinent (really?) issue of their opponent’s character.

This unfortunately leaves us only with a choice between two thieves. If even a portion of their claims against each other were exposed in a normal job interview neither would be considered for any other job in the world, and if the claims were proven at all they would probably both be in jail. If neither of them is a crook or incompetent then they are both certainly liars.

Given the choices, it’s no wonder that less than 30% of registered voters will probably vote in this election. While the remaining 70%, by sitting on their hands, are in fact voting for “non-of-the-above”, the effect of this voter complacency is that the self-perpetuating political system we live with continues to produce mere mirror images of ineffective, self-serving demigods masquerading as leaders to run against each other.

Unfortunately it appears that the politicians are secure in the system since there are few if any leaders willing to place or even argue common sense, common good, and common interests ahead of the negative campaign strategies that mask their common special interests.

The people of Hong Kong are currently struggling against a one-party system that wants to control their so-called political choices. Here we have a two-party system that seeks to accomplish the same end, though seemingly through a somewhat less tyrannical process. Admittedly, we are stuck with what Winston Churchill once described as “the worst form of government, except for all the rest”, but such observations do little except serve to perpetuate and justify a broken status quo.

A viable solution to this historical dilemma and gridlock might include a real “non-of-the-above” choice on every ballot for all of our so-called Representative elections. Empty seats in the various chambers of government would send the strongest message. The huge financial contributors who now dictate our choices would most likely withdraw since their money would potentially buy nothing but an empty seat, and even without a quorum it is doubtful that much less would be accomplished than with the current empty heads in those seats today.

Advertisements

About James McV

Writer - Sailor - Adventurer - Philosopher - Idealist - Realist.... After a twenty + year career in the outdoor recreation and marina business I took off some years ago to sail around the world and re-create myself..... Now I'm back and in the process of writing two books, and paying attention once again to the world around me.
This entry was posted in Politics as Usual and tagged , , , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s